Dutch is right. The issue is not principally that what was done was illegal, or that it was promoting an illegal spectacle. What matters is that it is downright dangerous and is being promoted as "just a bit of fun". Not everyone realises how fast these creatures can move when they choose, and don't be lulled into thinking that because they haven't so far attacked they are guaranteed not to. I have seen crocodiles in Africa attacking and bringing down rhino, and it is extraordinary to see a dormant log suddenly erupt into a devastatingly fast and powerful killing machine.
There is a major difference from the treatment of sharks. Nurse sharks are not dangerous creatures - our treatment of them can sometimes be regarded as harassment, but they are usually very willing participants. Chumming the water in the Blue Hole for bigger sharks is not of itself particularly harmful, though I would prefer that it weren't done - it causes them to associate boats with food.
But what is utterly irresponsible and is too often done is chumming the water when there are still divers down. I recall once seeing a feeding frenzy of 10 or 12 bull and reef sharks above me when I was still at 60'. I'm experienced enough to cope with that, but an inexperienced diver might well have freaked at the sight. One of the most reputable operators on AC was responsible then and still often does it. I challenged them once - the reply was "no-one's ever been hurt". Until the first time.
The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.