US Couple Transferred To Belize City

Today it caused quite a stir in downtown Belize City when the US couple held for the death of their daughter, Anke and David Doehm were transferred to Belize City.

Police brought the couple via boat to Centre Point building on North Front Street at around 11:30 this morning. They wore handcuffs and were escorted into the building, but then put back in the boat when too much of a media hubbub was created.

The couple was then taken to another location where they were put in a police vehicle. As we understand it, David Doehm has been remanded for drug possession since he could not pay the $185.00 dollar fine he got yesterday when he pleaded guilty to having valium without a prescription.

Anke Doehm is being questioned - we are told - in connection with child pornography since this has now emerged as a possible factor in this case.

And while we thought they would remain in custody, this evening in Belmopan, the Police Commissioner told the press that that they are to be released. That's after almost a week in detention. He outlined how the investigators carefully avoided violating their constitutional rights:

Allen Whylie - Commissioner of Police
"My understanding is that the two individuals were detained pending the investigation. They were subsequently charged for possession of drugs and were remanded by a Justice of the Peace. They appeared in court I believe it was Monday evening. One of the individual plead guilty, the other was released by the court. The individual who plead guilty I understand the fine was to be paid forthwith. He was unable to pay his fine and so a warrant of commitment was issued for that individual. He, along with his wife I understand were transported to Belize City today. He would have been taken to the prison to serve his time, but I understand that his fine has since been paid."

"The female was re-detained to look at the issue of pornography. I think that the investigators have gone through some of their equipment and the photo that they have seen, the legal advice given by our legal advice I understand that it would not amount to pornography and so I believe that both individuals may have been released from police custody already."

"It's a heinous crime in my view and a difficult crime to investigate, because of the fact that it occurred within the privacy of their home and it occurred within one family and so the investigators have been interviewing along with social the members of the family, in particular the children and we've submitted what we had to the DPP."

"I don't think we are at the stage that we can charge until we hear from the DPP whether or not what we have is sufficient to do so."

"There is always concern in terms of when these cases occur and foreigners are involved, that they may flee the jurisdiction. That is not to say that we are at the stage where we can charge anyone, but obviously they were the parents and should be able to account for any injuries that happened to their child."

So, as you heard, for all the public outrage on San Pedro, police have no further cause to detain them at this time. We've checked with DPP Cheryl-Lynn Vidal who told us that she is reviewing the investigation file all the statements that have been sent to her so far. Police say that they are awaiting her instructions on how they should proceed with the case.

Police: Compol Wrong, Doehms Still Detained

Before the break, we told you how the Commissioner got it wrong when he said that Americans David and Anke Doehm were released from police custody.

Here's his exact words from this evening, when he spoke on the case:

Allen Whylie - Commissioner of Police
"He, along with his wife I understand were transported to Belize City today. He would have been taken to the prison to serve his time, but I understand that his fine has since been paid."

"The female was re-detained to look at the issue of pornography. I think that the investigators have gone through some of their equipment and the photo that they have seen, the legal advice given by our legal advice I understand that it would not amount to pornography and so I believe that both individuals may have been released from police custody already."

Well, we've since confirmed that he was misinformed by the officers briefing him on the investigation. A few minutes ago the Police Press office said, quote, "

David Doehm is at Kolby Fondation on a committal warrant and Anke Doehm is detained in police custody pending investigation." End quote.

So, then it seems the commissioner - who is the top cop - somehow had it wrong on this very public, highly scrutinized case.

Special Envoy Speaks On San Pedro Couple

As we told you at the top of this segment, just a few hours ago, the Commissioner of police said that David And Anke Doehm had been released - but other senior sources tell us otherwise tonight.

And that very public confusion arises - in part - because this case is under such close public scrutiny.

Indeed, the death of 13 year old Faye Lin Cannon - in circumstances of extreme abuse - has sent waves of outrage across the country. Today Special Envoy for Women and Children Kim Simplis Barrow commented on this case. Barrow says this tragic case gives a reminder that more social workers are needed to better follow up on these cases of child abuse:

Kim Simplis Barrow - Special Envoy for Women and Children
"It's a sad situation and it's a sad day for us in Belize, the children were living here. When we look back and we always say in hind sight maybe something could have been done. We as Belizeans have to really be more aware of our surroundings, we are very friendly Belizean people and we are very welcoming. The dynamics are changing and especially in San Pedro where the population is growing so much. We have to start being conscious that these things do exist and it doesn't matter, abuse doesn't have a face, abuse doesn't have a status whether it's religious, whether it is financial status, anyone can be an abuser so we also have to be aware of that. We have to continue advocating for more social workers and as I said before I encourage more of our students to take up careers such as these, to become social workers because we do need it in Belize. We have to continue to advocate and we have to continue to provide every single means to protect our children. I am aware that there are different processes and there are different situations whereby a child can be removed from a family. I am not sure if whatever report was made fell under that category so, there are so many different situations and scenarios. I had not received the report as yet."

Courtney Weatherburne
"Do you work along with the human services? Is there a collaboration there when it comes to this case or not necessarily?"

Kim Simplis Barrow - Special Envoy for Women and Children
"Not necessarily, they do their own investigation and their own thing because of my role I will always ask for a report."

As we told you last night, the Human Services Department that they did follow up on reports improper supervision and inadequate parenting in 2014 but after investigating, the parents showed improvement and the case was closed. The department says they don't' have any record of any other reports - while the islanders say they made several complaints and nothing was done.

Channel 7