Originally Posted by azbob
Jessie, I have to differ with you regarding Hawaii. I have very good friend who are native Hawaiian and the family estate was very extensive. Taxes got to the point where they had to sell off sections at a time just to pay the taxes on the remaining acreage. It finally reached the point where they could not afford the taxes and had to sell to get out from under. This is land that had been in the family for 100+ years (if I remember correctly). Yes, they made money on the sale, a tidy sum since it was loan free, but the point is they did not want to sell, but did not have the income to pay the taxes and were forced to sell., So I would not look to Hawaii as an example IMO.

You missed my point...that a simple primary residence is protected by exemptions...nothing to do with large estate lands and inheritance issues.