I am not suggesting anything at all except that no one is obligated to pay anyone else any specific amount as a commission on real estate. There is no law (anywhere) that I am aware of that says a real estate agent is entitled to a specific rate of commission. You can agree to pay one dollar if the real estate agent will agree to it. Don't get me wrong I am not bashing real estate agents nor am I saying that the service they provide is not a valuable one. What I am saying is that if I am paying for something I don't automatically accept whatever the suggestion is from the agent as to what I should pay. Six or even eight per cent may be perfectly fair on a $80,000 purchase but in my view completely silly on a million dollar deal. That's all I am saying. No news here. You can bargain for anything in a free market with free seller and free buyers.
p.s. Realtor is a particular term that does not apply to all real estate agents.
Last edited by CaptOneIron; 07/05/10 12:34 PM.