B&G, very, very well said.
I will add:
I've never owned a slave or been a slave, I haven't burned any witches or been persecuted by the Turks and neither have you. But sadly, all of those things are part of our history and we do well to remember them less they be repeated.
I believe if you don't like the way things are here, it is your responsibility to work to effect change before you start complaining about the failure of others to do so.
I am thankful that the symbolism of the American flag is strong enough to stand proudly next to that of flags from a wide variety of other countries which are just as strong in their own right.
This IS America. I believe "love it" and "leave it" are not the only choices. It is not perfect but it is my home and I will do my very best to make it the most welcoming home possible.
I believe God never left our country. He's willing to have a conversation with anyone who's interested, but He does not force His will on anyone. And He doesn't like America best.
I believe the most awesome thing about being American is recognizing that there are no "true Americans" as we all came from somewhere else and it is the combination of so many rich heritages that makes this country the unique blessing it is.